Can your eyes change Colour without Surgery?
Eyes are the greatest feature of any person’s face and the color of the eyes plays a significant role in it. It often happens so that we are not satisfied with the color of our eyes and want to change it. If the desire is temporary then contact lenses are the obvious solution. But, a permanent eye color change often requires surgery. As all of us are scared of the term ‘surgery’, hence, now the question arises as “Can your eyes change color without surgery?”
You will be relieved to learn that yes, your eyes can change color without surgery. We will discuss all that and more in this article. So, let us start without delay.
What is the reason for your eye color?
The color of our eyes is fixed from a very young age, although age might play a role in changing it slightly. Eye color is determined by our genes and might be a combination of the eye colors of our parents. However, it can also differ significantly from either of the biological parents and thus we can say that is almost impossible to guess.
The color of your eyes is basically the color of your iris and can be:
- A mixture of the colors above
Having understood the reason behind the color of our eyes, let us now look at the various temporary and permanent ways in which your eyes can change color without surgery, i.e., let us start answering the primary question, “Can your eyes change color without surgery?”
Temporary Ways in Which Your Eyes Can Change Colour Without Surgery
- Contact lenses: This is the easiest, commonest and most reasonable way to change your eye color temporarily. Contact lenses are of 3 types based on how pronounced color change is required:
- Visibility contact lenses: These are lowly tinted and will not give a drastic change to the wearer’s eye color. They just help you to find the lens in the lens box, i.e., they are only meant for better visibility as the name suggests. They can only impact your eye color a little if it is very light in color.
- Enhancement contact lenses: They make your natural eye color more prominent. These are semi-opaque in nature.
- Opaque contact lenses: They are opaque in nature as the name suggests. They change your eye color drastically and are available in a wide variety of colors.
- Moods: These can change your eye color temporarily. When you are extremely angry or happy, your heartbeat rate might change but, you already knew that. What you didn’t know is that in time of heightened emotions like this your eye color might change a bit too. They can become lighter or darker. So, if you were looking for “Can eyes change color with mood?”, here you have the answer.
- Make-up and clothing: Make-up and the clothes you wear can play a role in changing the color of your eyes to a certain extent. When women with brown eyes wear shades if gold, pink or green, their eyes can look visibly lighter. Women with blue or green eyes can wear shades of blue, emerald and turquoise to intensify their eyes. Shades like white do not affect your eyes.
- Chameleon eyes: The eye color of some people change with different emotion and states of mind. Such eyes are called chameleon eyes. People with hazel or bluish-green eyes normally exhibit this phenomenon. This is not abnormal at all and its inheritance is not seen normally.
Permanent Ways in Which Your Eyes Can Change Colour Without Surgery
- Using honey: If you are looking for “How to change eye color at home?”, then here is the answer. Honey is something that is readily available in our homes. It kills the bacteria and fungi and hence, its medicinal property is well-known. However, honey also has an oxidizing property due to the presence of a small quantity of hydrogen peroxide. Therefore, it can also be used to lighten the color of the eyes owing to its bleaching effect on the iris.
- Diet: Eating certain foods and following a certain diet can help you change the color of your eyes up to a certain limit. However, it is important that your eyes are free from infections for this to actually work. The food items given below can help:
- uva ursi tea
- chamomile tea
- Olive oil
- Laser Treatment: This can lighten the color of your eyes in only 30 seconds! Laser treatment or laser eye color change involves destroying the melanin in the outer anterior layers of the iris, thus exposing the clear blue layers underneath. This process depends totally on computers and is extremely costly. A laser beam of a certain frequency is used which selectively acts on the melanin in the outer anterior layers of the iris.
- Aging and melanin: The eye color of many children might change with increasing age up to the age of 12. A baby born with greyish blue might go on to have clear blue eyes in a few months or years. Their eyes can also become darker if the levels of melanin in their iris increase. However, babies born with brown eyes maintain the same brown eyes throughout life.
So, by now I hope you have your answer on the question, “Can your eyes change color without surgery?”
There are a number of ways in which your eyes can change their color temporarily or permanently as explained above. Contact lenses are the best way, but, it is always advisable to consult a doctor before trying contacts for the first time.